Monday, October 10, 2016



BY THE TIME WE GET TO PHOENIX…We still have a ways to go!

I must admit at my advanced age…I’ve never driven to California.  I’ve flown over that part of the country many, many times, but never put the pedal to the metal on I-10 West or checked out route 66…you know…really see this part of our country. Since we had a couple of dates booked in California, I thought it’s time to scratch one off the ‘bucket list’. So, we left Spring, TX. and we took off and landed in Las Cruces, NM the first night and into Arizona and through the Sonora Desert  and then on to the California state line the next day.  Friday morning we made our way across the desert and… v e r y…. s l o w l y… through Los Angeles and up highway 101 (VENTURA HIGHWAY).  It felt like… if you can imagine… like driving from Houston to Dallas in bumper to bumper traffic, stop and go  on I-45 all the way!  “If I can just get off of this LA. freeway without getting killed or caught…”

We made it!!  Well, here I sit on a cliff overlooking the mighty Pacific ocean in beautiful Santa Barbara, CA. We arrived in Santa Barbara Friday evening, just in time for a barbecue  dinner “at the point” and watching a wonderful sunset
settle over the ocean.  After dinner we built a bonfire and Michael, Don Richmond and I picked a few tunes around the  campfire. Good food and great people!  I’ve only been in California for a day and I swear my hair’s turning blonde.
I woke this morning humming beach boy songs!  Yep…I’m California dreaming.

On Saturday night we played  a venue in Thousand Oaks, CA, hosted by old friend Steve Brogden.  And it was magical.  We had a decent audience  for a couple of unknown Texans. Saturday evening we played  a sunset, house concert on ocean front property in Santa
Barbara hosted by Suzanne and Ross. What a magnificent home estate they have overlooking  the Pacific.
Thanks you for your hospitality and making us feel welcome.

Monday we are heading  home to the place I love best!  TEXAS!!!  On the way back we’re going to check out the Grand Canyon, and also that corner in Winslow, Arizona that I’ve heard so much about, then down to Sedona, for a little ‘spiritual awakening’ sacred place and then over and through the painted desert and the petrified forest on our way back thru to New Mexico and Texas.

Going back to Houston, Houston, Houston.

See you soon.
Shakecopolo





No comments:

Post a Comment