Tuesday, May 23, 2017



“GIVE ME THE BEAT BOYS…AND FREE MY SOUL”

Last night Michael Hearne and I along with Mike Roberts were Christine Albert’s
“special guests”at El Mercado Mystery Monday Show, with Bobby Callas on drums and                     Chip Dolan sitting in on piano and accordion.  It was a big band sound night and without a set list. This Monday night was different than usual because of Jimmy LaFave’s passing on Sunday.  The music community still in shock and disbelief that he was gone.  Everyone seemed to gather last night just to be together and share his memory and music a little.  The place was packed and all sorts of Austin’s best musical guests came by to sing a couple of songs and pay tribute to Jimmy. Butch Hancock and his son, Eliza Gilykson, Tish Hinojosa, Marcia Ball, Ray Bonneville, Slaid Cleaves, John Inmon, and others contributed to a fantastic, rousing right of music.  Everyone left a little lighter in heart than when they came in.

This Thursday night May 25th my old friend Clint black is rolling into Austin for a show at The Nutty Brown.  Clint has recorded several songs we’ve written together, PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES, ONE MORE PAYMENT, OUR KIND OF LOVE, MILK AND COOKIES (‘till Santa’s Gone), HEY HOT ROD, and YOU DON’T NEED ME NOW.  Thank you Clint.  It’s been awhile since I’ve seen him and his band. Clint invited me to come out Thursday night and sing a couple of songs with his band. This will be a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to it.  Clint has had the same core band all these many years and they are a tight, crackerjack band.  That says a whole lot about what kind of man Clint is.  (Clint and his band played on my CD “LET LOVE BE TRUE” when I recorded it in Nashville.)  So folks…If you don’t have any plans for Thursday night come on out to The Nutty Brown and catch Clint Black! Clint and his band will put on a rocking’ stellar show.  I guarantee it.

HEADS UP KERRVERTS’…..
Friday night we’ll head to The Kerrville Folk Festival for a visit to that music fest in the hills. American Dreamer kicks it off,  followed by ‘Trout Fishing’, ‘The Rifters’, then Michael Hearne, Mike Roberts and I. Due to Jimmy LaFaves’s unfortunate passing this past Sunday, the Friday closing set will be a tribute to Jimmy hosted by Ray Bonneville and will feature members of Jimmy’s band and friends.  No doubt there will be some jamming going on the stage that night.

After Kerrville, I’ll be heading up to Alamosa, CO to begin work on my next CD with Don Richmond producing and playing on the album. I am really looking forward to getting back into the recording studio with Don and creating some new material. It’s really one of my favorite things to do.  And, I’m not putting a deadline on this one.  I’m going to take my sweet time and work on it over the summer.

I’ll let you know how it goes and send you some pics and samples of what we’re doing up there.
So stay tuned.  There’s much more to come.  I’ll talk with you up the road.

Thanks,
Shake

No comments:

Post a Comment